managing the display of a custom table

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

managing the display of a custom table

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi

Is it possible to control the data to be displayed in a custom table especially when gaming?
For instance if I have custom table showing a variable and the custom table has a relatively small length for lack of space available, and the custom table shows only three values corresponding to three successive time steps, every time I play the game one step forward, the custom table goes back to the beginning of the simulation. If I am interested by the value at the last step of the game I must shift the custom table to the last step calculated, something that is rather cumbersome, especially if you have different tables. Is is possible to control the values displayed and displaying only for instance the last value calculated?
The turnaround I use, is to put all the variables in the same table, so that I have to shift only one table back to the last step calculated for every time step played.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.

JJ
tomfid
Administrator

Re: managing the display of a custom table

Post by tomfid »

Could you use the :VAR varname #timebase@time&dataset syntax in a custom report?
LAUJJL

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi Tom

thank you for the reply.

I will study it;

Best regards.

JJ
LAUJJL

Post by LAUJJL »

I join a simplistic model that illustrates two problems.

The first problem is relative to the question of my preceding post.

Suppose that I run the model joined in game mode, and I want to survey the value of stock in the table drawn in the sketch. It show up to 9 values. If I run the model past the 9 first steps, every time that I run a step with the game, the table goes back to the 9 first values, and I am obliged to slide the table up to the end of the game. In your formula the @time should be the last time of the game just being played. How is it possible to formulate this?

A second problem is relative of the external data.
In the model joined in packaged form the three next runs are already included.

The data file is equal to '' and you name for instance the run 'base'.
If you run again the model and name the data file 'base.vdf' the external data will capture the data from the base run. Now if you just run one run with the data file named 'base.vdf' and name it 'run from base' you will get exactly the same values from the external data than the one from the stock and at the same time.
But if you do the same thing with the game functionality and again use the data file named 'base.vdf' and name the file 'game from base', the values for the external data are displayed one time step sooner than with the run 'run from base'.

But rather strangely the variable stock or external data is correct when it should reflect the same slide!

It looks as if in the case of a game, Vensim slides all data one step sooner to be able to use it the next step.

Is this behaviour normal?

Best regards.

JJ
Attachments
get_vdf_data.vpm
(45.22 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
LAUJJL

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi

I am rather annoyed not to have any reply because I am testing policies with the gaming tool, using external data to avoid the random generator to be reset, every time that one changes a gaming variable or if one steps back. Without any answer i will treat this problem as a bug and will try to find some workarounds.

Regards.

JJ