FR: Implement auto update feature

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Travis

FR: Implement auto update feature

Post by Travis »

Feature request: Please implement an auto update feature for Vensim macOS. I would like a "Check for Updates" feature like that most apps have. Most of the people I know use older versions of Vensim because 1) they don't know a new version is released and 2) it is a pain to get the next version.

If you're selling through the Mac App Store, this would be handled automatically.

If you're distributing your directly, you can use the open source and widely used Sparkle framework.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: FR: Implement auto update feature

Post by Administrator »

We do give the user the option to be notified of updates via the download centre. You can also hit Help->Newer Releases to get access to them.

I'm not sure of the legality of pushing updates onto users especially now with the new GDPR regulations.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

It also requires the application to phone home, and it's important to some of our users (defense) to avoid that.
Travis

Post by Travis »

There is always the option to turn it off. It would help everyone else. Just like Word and other applications Defense uses.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I think it's worth exploring.

Of course, the primary reason that other applications make heavy use of update notification is that they're full of security risks from the network and system access that we avoid.