The subscripts problem in aging structure

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
kong17
Vensim version: PRO

The subscripts problem in aging structure

Post by kong17 »

Hi everyone,

I am working on generation capacity expasnion model. In order to the difference in efficiency between old and new capacity.
So, the aging structure is consdered in the model. There are 3 vintages in the uploaed simple model.
My question is due to different subscripts for each vintage, the subscripts are confusing.
For example, the subscript of trans V1to V2 is Renewable V1, but the subscript of Installed Capacity Vintage 2 (Renewable) is Renewable V2. When run the model, the subscripts always report an error.
I tried to remove the previous vintage subscript and just bring it into the next vintage as a number, but it failed. Is there any way to solve this problem?
Figure.png
Figure.png (13.95 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
Simple Aging Structure.mdl
(5 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
tomfid
Administrator

Re: The subscripts problem in aging structure

Post by tomfid »

It seems like you're doubling up on vintaging here. If you have explicit stocks for vintages, you don't need to repeat that in the subscripts. The subscript range could simply represent wind, solar, etc.
kong17
Vensim version: PRO

Post by kong17 »

tomfid wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:18 pm It seems like you're doubling up on vintaging here. If you have explicit stocks for vintages, you don't need to repeat that in the subscripts. The subscript range could simply represent wind, solar, etc.
But for the capacity in different periods, it also caused the difference in efficiency and cost for each technologies. Therefore, efficiency and cost subscripts need to reflect different vintages. I understand if I have explicit stocks for vintages, the subscript of capacity simply represent, wind, solar. But when total generation needs to be aggregated, the efficiency subscrpts is different vintages (e.g. v1-v3), and the subscript of capacity is wind, solar etc. There is also a conflict of subscripts during aggregation.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

You don't want subscripts for that; you want a coflow structure. Take a look at the coflows of capital and efficiency in https://metasd.com/2010/03/the-energy-t ... e-economy/
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Your current subscript implies that there are 9 values for Installed Capacity Vintage 1 - why would that be the case?