Converting .mdl to .xmile via .cmd

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
james.m.rollins
Vensim version: DSS

Converting .mdl to .xmile via .cmd

Post by james.m.rollins »

Is there a .cmd available to accomplish the conversion of a .mdl to a .xmile file? We are attempting to automate a conversion process. I have looked at Vensim version 7.2 and 7.3, DSS commercial. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Converting .mdl to .xmile via .cmd

Post by Administrator »

The following commands should work, not sure if they were implemented in version 7.3.
MDL2XML
MDL2XMILE
VMFX2XML
VMFX2XMILE
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
james.m.rollins

Thank you! :D We will check it out.
james.m.rollins

2 Issues Persist

1. Not all models successfully export to .xmile. We have a suite of 5 models. We are able to convert to .xmile without issue in 3 of the 5 models using the commands you specified earlier in the thread using Vensim version 7.2. In the three models that successfully save-as .xmile, I can open in Notebook and see the xmile standard format. With the unsuccessful models, I get a file with the extension .xmile, but when I open with Notebook, the file is empty. If I attempt these save-as operations using my Vensim client (version 7.2), I get the same errors. The models are for the most part, constructed the same way using multiple pages and depths (some more than others).

2. My Vensim client does not seem capable of opening a .xmile file. When I open any of the successfully saved .xmile files from Vensim, I get the text view within which, there is a short block of text titled, "Simulation Control Parameters." If I attempt to run the model, I get a dialogue that indicates the model has errors, and asks me if I want to correct them. I select "yes" and then it returns a "syntax error" dialogue.

I have ensured in all of these cases that a model parameters file was present.

Finally, we cannot get the export function to work in version 7.3 (just an observation). Did Ventana not include the .xmile utilities in 7.3?

Thanks again for your help.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

We would need the models to try to say what is wrong. Vensim is also on version 8.2 now, so there may have been issues that have been fixed since 7.3.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
james.m.rollins

Also, the ability to save a model as .xmile did work before. So the problem seems to be of lately.
james.m.rollins

Here are the models. I just reran the PSY model. After it runs, it shuts down my Vensim client.

Thanks for you rapid response on a Sunday!
Attachments
mm_v36_2019_09_06.mdl
(182.02 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
psy_v21_2019_11_04.mdl
(201.33 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I can replicate the crash. The problem appears to be DELAY FIXED functions. A workaround, while we chase down the details, might be to replace them temporarily with SMOOTHs or similar when exporting.