PRO 8.2.1 questions

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
alvinpoon
Vensim version: PRO

PRO 8.2.1 questions

Post by alvinpoon »

Dear

I just purchased the PRO 8.2.1. (x64). Cool!

But when I use it to open all my previous VPM file (see attached example Lotka), I can open it, but the vensim PRO 8.2.1 no longer shows the sketch tools and I am not able to see or edit the equation etc. But I could see and edit equation the same file if I use my previous older lower ver of Vensim PLP 7.2. what is wrong? please help advice. I believe the latest version should at least keep the same functions as old one. quite frustrating.

by the way, I have another VPM file (see attached marcrodynamics2-5). I even cannot open it with PRO. It seems the creator has blocked from opening it under vensim pro/dss/plp (true?), I can only use the model reader to open, but I also cannot see the equation etc under model reader. how can i see the equation for my study?

Thank you
Attachments
MacroDynamics2-5.vpm
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 184 times
Lotka-Volterra+Array.vpm
(444.12 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: PRO 8.2.1 questions

Post by Administrator »

VPM/VPMX are published models, so are essentially read only which is why you are not seeing the sketch tools.

You will need to contact the author of macro dynamics. They've published it and made the decision to block access to the equations, there is no way to bypass this.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
alvinpoon

Post by alvinpoon »

I guess I know what you mean. But I can really use PLP 7.2 to read and change equation for VPM (exactly the same model I attach Lotka). I cannot understand why pro 8.21 as a higher ver cannot do that for.me to read.the equation now. It become less capable using upgraded ver?? Can you check again the file lotka I attached?
alvinpoon

Post by alvinpoon »

Precisely speaking

I can understang the file of " macro dynamics "that I cannot read the equation

But I totally cannot understand why I cannot read the equation of the file of Lotka cannot. Because I can really use PLP 7.2 to read the equation using sketch tool.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I think they must have made some unusual choices when publishing these models. The Publish dialog allows you to select whether PLE/PLP, Pro, DSS etc. can open these individually. The first one, for example, won't open at all into DSS.

The settings for PLE and PLE+ are linked, so you should still be able to open the model in your old PLP or a fresh PLE download.

The only time I change the defaults (all options available) is when a model has arrays, so it won't work in PLE. But they may have some other reason.