newbe and wine64

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
syseng
Vensim version: PLE

newbe and wine64

Post by syseng »

I am taking my first class from Systems Dynamic and I use vensinDSS that I have a limited time. My background is both SW & HW engineering and UI design. The archtypes are cool, but is learning the terminology then relating that to what I know.

I can not use Windows! Thank writing standard software! It runs in Wine64.
Good news first. Because I am running in wine64 I expect it is not supported. Do I hear market opportunity?

Problem 1. Because I am using wine64, I do not have the "standard" applications. As a standalone Vensim runs OK.
I installed postgres obdc drivers in to w64. and now I get an error on the Linux side. On the Linux side I can handle.

Documentation on the ODBC connection is limited at best.
Right now it is chicken and egg problem. I have to define the DSN before I can create new DSN.

Question 1: How do I setup a DSN database connection information in vensim?

Problem 2: When I use GET DIRECT DATA I get a hard crash.
I can send dump if you want it.

Problem 3: This is the first time I have used wine64. You can't help me here. Wine resources are fair.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: newbe and wine64

Post by Administrator »

Please update your profile with your correct licence details (you've registered as a PLE user).

>> Good news first. Because I am running in wine64 I expect it is not supported.
Correct, running Vensim on anything other than Windows/MacOS is not supported.

>> Question 1: How do I setup a DSN database connection information in vensim?
>> Problem 2: When I use GET DIRECT DATA I get a hard crash.
Neither of these is available in PLE.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

You can create a DSN in Windows with the Microsoft admin tools, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... fab5a7#bm2

However, I don't know how this would work with Wine.

I don't think Linux is an interesting market for Vensim, because its desktop share is tiny. The multicontext .dll runs on Linux servers, but that's as far as we're likely to go. I'd be interested to hear arguments to the contrary.
syseng
Vensim version: PLE

Post by syseng »

I have a VensimDSS license for the class using the System Dynamics org. And ODBC and GET DIRECT is supported.

I come form the HW and SW tools side and most are supporting Linux and now some new tools do not support windows.I can tell Vensim was written about 20 years ago and the interface has not changed.
I want to use system dynamics with machine learning and many ML packages are Linux based.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Using PySD might be a good option. It's pretty simple, but it can translate Vensim mdl files.