QUERY Beer Game Simulation Model

This forum contains all archives from the SD Mailing list (go to http://www.systemdynamics.org/forum/ for more information). This is here as a read-only resource, please post any SD related questions to the SD Discussion forum.
""Abhijit Mandal""

Post by ""Abhijit Mandal"" »

Posted by ""Abhijit Mandal"" <Abhijit.Mandal@wbs.ac.uk> Could anyone please let me know if there are published simulation listings (in Vensim or any other language) capable of replicating the dynamics of the beer game?

regards,

Abhijit
Posted by ""Abhijit Mandal"" <Abhijit.Mandal@wbs.ac.uk> posting date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 19:21:00 +0000 _______________________________________________
Yaman Barlas

Post by Yaman Barlas »

Posted by yaman barlas <ybarlas@boun.edu.tr> Dear Abhijit; Short answer to your question is 'yes' there are such simulation models.
More specifically, a couple of years ago we created a model that EXACTLY replicates the physical beer game. The related article is in the proceedings of ISDC 2005, Boston. (Samur, M. et al...)

The multi-player, online computerized version was constructed in Powersim. (But we had to revert to an old version, because the new version of Powersim was incapable of doing it).
So the 'long answer' is: There are several different Beer Game models around, but I do not think they EXACTLY replicate the board game. Further, these models are not true online multi-playe games; they take allow player input only and simulate other decisions. Thus if by replicating you mean a multi-player online computer game replicating the board game, I am not aware of any such version, other that ours, that had to use an old software version, etc...
We can send you these models if you want, after you take a look at the article.
best wishes
Yaman Barlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yaman Barlas, Ph.D.
Professor, Industrial Engineering Dept.
Bogazici University,
34342 Bebek, Istanbul, TURKEY
Posted by yaman barlas <ybarlas@boun.edu.tr> posting date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:54:40 +0200 _______________________________________________
Ralf Lippold

Post by Ralf Lippold »

Posted by Ralf Lippold <ralf_lippold@web.de> Hello Yaman,

since my visit to Nijmegen in July being infected by SD I am constantly searching for information on the field.

As it is difficult to get the ideas to people or colleagues who have no SD background the Beergame is a good possibility to show the dependencies of different processes and the structure of the process.

> So the 'long answer' is: There are several different Beer Game models
> around, but I do not think they EXACTLY replicate the board game.
> Further, these models are not true online multi-playe games; they take
> allow player input only and

You will find some online versions on the following link:

http://www.mister-wong.de (search for: Beergame); explicit the following link is a good online version of the Beergame: http://www.beergame.lim.ethz.ch/

The above link (Mister-Wong) is social bookmarking, that means one can share private bookmarks (on the home computer) either with other people or having the bookmarks on hand being away from home.

Either way it is a positive Feedback on the Stock of available knowledge a person or the community has (Am I right with that assumption?). Perhaps that is a nucleus to build up a model on creating useful knowledge for a community and what are other Feedback Loops. (This idea just came to my writing this lines ;-)).

Best regards from a truly system thinker just starting the trip

Ralf
--

-----------
Ralf Lippold
Elsbethstraße 7
D-04155 Leipzig-Gohlis
Posted by Ralf Lippold <ralf_lippold@web.de> posting date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:00:41 +0100 _______________________________________________
""Ford, David""

Post by ""Ford, David"" »

Posted by ""Ford, David"" <dford@civil.tamu.edu> All,

In the course I teach I have the students build the Distribution Game model after they play it...first conceptually...then the processes only for one sector...then they add the management using 2 of Sterman's three inputs to the ordering decision...then add a 3rd order delay to substitute for the upstream sectors. If done correctly, when the students input the order stream used in the tabletop version they get the same behavior modes and the three important characteristics that they saw in the time series plots of tabletop experience that we post on the walls for the debrief. Performance improves when the supply line is used in ordering, which we discussed in the debrief, and I ask them to use to model structure to explain. Closing the circle from their tabletop experience to building the simulation model to relating that back to improving the performance of the system they experienced helps set up the value of SD and gets the students going on building models.
This all happens within the first few weeks of the course. So I suggest building the model. I have found it to be an excellent way to help beginning SDers understand what it does and why.

Dave Ford

David N. Ford, Ph.D., P.E.
Associate Professor
Zachry Department of Civil Engineering
Texas A&M University
College Station, Tx 77843-3136 USA
Posted by ""Ford, David"" <dford@civil.tamu.edu> posting date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:59:57 -0600 _______________________________________________