Ventity Optimization dialog a bit wonky?

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
rob_n
Vensim version: DSS

Ventity Optimization dialog a bit wonky?

Post by rob_n »

Hi,
I'm setting up optimizations in Ventity using the dialog box from right-click Edit on Analysis>Optimization. Interacting with the dialog box to add a payoff is giving behavior that I wouldn't expect:

In the Optimizations dialog box, add a row (+) and click on the Payoff dropdown. A sub-dialog box appears. Select the appropriate Entity and Variable, give it a weight, etc. When I click "OK", I would expect all my changes to be accepted and the sub-dialog box to disappear. The sub-dialog box does not disappear. The only way I have figured out to get the changes in the sub-dialog box to be preserved is if I click "OK" and then the [X] box to close the main Optimizations dialog box.

Is this how it is supposed to work?

Best regards,
Rob
rob_n

Re: Ventity Optimization dialog a bit wonky?

Post by rob_n »

Further, when I try to add parameters with the Parameters sub-dialog box, sometimes clicking the (+) shows no new row. The new row does appear if I click "OK", then reopen the Parameters sub-dialog box.

Best regards,
Rob
rob_n

Post by rob_n »

Behavior exhibited in Ventity 2.02 and 2.01
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I've put in a ticket for this.
rob_n

Post by rob_n »

The Optimization dialog appears to be completely broken.

Symptoms: I can create the start of an optimization, but when I try to define the payoff function there's a problem. The Entity and Variable fields are pre-populated, apparently by picking the first in an alphabetical list. While this might seem like a convenient feature, it isn't possible to change them! Either clicking "OK" does nothing. In a different simulation, the auto-populated Entity and Variable might throw an error, and changing the variable never clears the error, so again clicking "OK" does nothing.

The only workaround I've found is to add an optimization, then MANUALLY edit the .vmdl file with a text editor. Thankfully, the syntax is simple enough to actually do this, but it is hardly optimal (ah ha hah).

Please fix!
rob_n

Post by rob_n »

FWIW, the optimization itself seems to work fine. The optimization dialog does correctly read in a working optimization: it is possible to view all the parameters and values. It seems not possible to change them.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

There may be a fix in the dev builds - I'll check. Email ventity dot biz if you need access.
rob_n

Post by rob_n »

Hi,
Is this fixed yet? Having optimization dialog broke is strongly sub-optimal.
Best regards,
Rob
rob_n

Post by rob_n »

This appears to be fixed in Ventity 4.0 beta. Thanks!