Units (Millions and Billions)

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
atkamal
Vensim version: Ventity

Units (Millions and Billions)

Post by atkamal »

Hi Ventity Team (Tom),

I am running some simulations and my results are in millions (M) and billions (B). I would like the exact numbers instead of these and I cannot find the fix in the unit settings.

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Athar
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Units (Millions and Billions)

Post by tomfid »

Where do you need these numbers? (Charts, tables, data grid?)

If you copy-paste or export the values to Excel or csv, you'll get the raw numbers.
atkamal

Post by atkamal »

Hi Tom,

I want to copy the results of aggregate of vehicle stocks. While the ventity plotter shows the number, when i try to copy these numbers. Instead of the whole number, the M and B show up in excel. Moreover, i am not able to export the results to excel file (maybe i am doing the exporting wrong).

error1.JPG
error1.JPG (131.4 KiB) Viewed 8266 times
error2.JPG
error2.JPG (57.09 KiB) Viewed 8266 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

The M is definitely a bug - I've put in a ticket for it.

How did you generate the "path not of legal form" error? The export command is working for me.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Speculation: the path error has something to do with the location where you're saving the file.
atkamal

Post by atkamal »

HI Tom,

I can save the complete results (for the whole run) from the Results tab in the entity picker into excel files.

However, if i go to data of an individual stock/variable/aggregate (like the table image above) and right click and do export to excel, it gives the error (in the second screenshot).
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Thanks. Two requests:
- can you post a screenshot of the save dialog, showing the Excel filename to be used? (Email to us at info at ventity.biz if easier.)
- the text of the extended error message - this will be on the clipboard after you click OK on the "path is not of legal form" dialog.
atkamal

Post by atkamal »

Hi Tom,

I have sent the screenshots and error clipboard text file on the info@ventity email.

Please let me know if you (or the team) haven't received it.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Got it - thanks! I'll put in a ticket and we'll investigate.
rob_n
Vensim version: DSS

Post by rob_n »

Before we fix the bug, let's make sure it isn't a feature! There are a number of ways Excel can display numbers with a suffix, without changing the underlying number. It would be great if Ventity supported one or more of these when copy-and-pasting, or saving-as.

(1) Excel can display numbers with a suffix, e.g. "M" when the number is greater than 1000000. Excel custom number format for up to two break points that gives this is
[>=1000000]0,,"M";[>=1000]0,"K";0
(2) With conditional formatting, the custom formatting can be extended to more than two break points. (The conditional formatting can be copied and pasted amongst cells.) A nice explanation how to do it is https://www.excelforum.com/excel-genera ... t-etc.html. This works only for cells greater than 1, so is of limited value IMHO.
(3) With a helper-cel, numbers smaller and larger than one can be formatted with SI prefixes. A good article is https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... e4e31237e0

I've attached an Excel spreadsheet that does all this.
Excel_number_formats.xlsx
(11.24 KiB) Downloaded 386 times