DELAY/Discrete Functions in Ventity

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
Milos
Vensim version: PLE

DELAY/Discrete Functions in Ventity

Post by Milos »

I have a question, how does one do Delay Fixed and other Delay functions from Vensim in Ventity? And maybe I am making a mistake but when I import a Vensim model (with these delay functions that are not included in ventity) in to Ventity, those models don't run.
tomfid
Administrator

Re: DELAY/Discrete Functions in Ventity

Post by tomfid »

The DelayInformation function provides a pipeline (infinite order) delay, much like DELAY FIXED. DELAY3 is also available. We haven't implemented other functions like DELAY CONVEYOR, mainly because there hasn't been demand. For my own use, I usually want to change the architecture of the model in Ventity, so entity dynamics take the place of some discrete delay applications.

What in particular are you modeling that requires these delays, and which ones would be useful first?
Milos
Vensim version: PLE

Post by Milos »

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay, I didn’t see that you asked a question at the end.

I am doing some healthcare modeling and I am modeling doctors getting infected, being sick (depending on the age group, some are going to be sick for 3 weeks some for just 1) and then going in to mandatory quarantine with a fixed period of 10 days, before getting back to the first line.

I think that more discrete functions (Delay Fixed, Delay N, and others) from Vensim should be present in Ventity, because when someone who uses only Vensim sends me a model, I need to potentially do a lot of changes. And the entity based modeling of Ventity can be used very effectively for modeling production systems with multiple product families, and in many of these models discrete functions could come in handy.

Kind regards,
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Understood - thanks.

I think you could model this particular case with DelayInformation, since it's essentially the same as a material delay, as long as the duration doesn't change within a simulation.

This might also be interesting as a quasi-agent model, in which case you could have individual doctors, each with a quarantine timer state of their own.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Here's an example of a hybrid approach (continuous population, agent doctors).
Dr Pt 1 (2).zip
(23.81 KiB) Downloaded 317 times