Error Message

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
nikvyas

Error Message

Post by nikvyas »

Good morning all.

I get the following error mesage when I try to save a .vmf file that I've just password protected:

"PROGRAM ERROR PLEASE CONTACT VENTANA
Incomplete/Bad file write - save as text, close Vensim and reopen."

However, if I clear away the password, everything is fine. I have a number of other models that I've password protected and they are fine. With this model, however, even if I rename the file or change the password, I still get the error message (so I've left it unprotected, which isn't ideal).

[Edited on 1-14-2008 by nikvyas]
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

That is curious behavior. Two questions: are you using version 5.7? (If not update and try again). For the model that causes problems does using a different password also cause the error message?
nikvyas

Post by nikvyas »

Hi Bob. Yes using 5.7 (DSS). I've tried using different passwords, but they all result in the same error message.

Having thought about it, all the other models that are password protected were created using the previous version. I can open and save all the older models with no error .................. but I can't create a new password protected model with the current version.

I've just had a look at the older password protected models and have found that if I change the password, I get the error message. So I can open and save the older models, as long as I don't change the password.

Very strange.

[Edited on 1-14-2008 by nikvyas]
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

Indeed this is a problem with 5.7 - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

You can also use File>Publish to password protect models that you want to give other people access to.
nikvyas

Post by nikvyas »

Thanks Bob.

However, it isn't ideal to leave the model unprotected unfortunately. The model is situated on the company network (it has to be, for various reasons) and there are a number of people who have Vensim on their computers. There is therefore always a danger of somebody opening the model and making alterations (deliberate or otherwise) - it is very unlikely, but it would be a problem if it were to happen.

Could you let us know when the problem has been fixed Bob?

Thanks

Nik
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

Hi Nik,

we will be putting up version 5.7a next week or the week after - it fixes this problem and some other issues.
nikvyas

Post by nikvyas »

Thanks Bob.