exporting excel rows

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Louis

exporting excel rows

Post by Louis »

Hi there,
I have a problem with copying 8000 numbers from xls to vensim lookup. Paste and copy works, but only for one number...

Can you help me please?
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi Louis

you have to study chapter 16 of the user guide.
Using 8000 numbers in a lookup does not make sense.
Lookups are not intended to be used in that way.
You must better explain what you are trying to do.
Regards.
JJ
Louis

Post by Louis »

ok, I'm not good in speaking english, but I will try to explain what I am trying to do ;-)

I want to make a simulation for a house, that does not need to have a warming system. of cause, there are other possibilities to keep the right temperature in the house. the outside temperature is one of the most important aspects that take influence on the temperature IN the house. i have a table with about 8000 numbers of temperature (1 for every hour of a whole year). is a lookup the right way to simulate this?
thanks!
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Can you use GET_XLS_DATA? That would be easier than using a lookup. You could also import the data (Model->Import dataset from the Vensim menu).

Tony.
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

using lookup

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi

I imagine that you have a model and you want to calculate for instance the room temperature for each hours of the day and that one of your input is the outside temperature.
Your outside temperature is an exogenous data.
you must enter these data using the data functionnality or using the get xls data.
The lookup is used to represent the influence of one variable of constant on another variable and not raw data.
You must anyhow study the chapter on data and probably all the user manual.
Another idea: due to your probable lack of SD knowledge and practice, it would preferable to start with less data and work for instance with the week average temerature and 52 values instead of more than 8000 even if it does not seem to solve your problem. You will at least learn to use a simpler model to start with.
I am more experienced than you, and I would personally start with months temperature!
Regards.
JJ

[Edited on 11-3-2008 by LAUJJL]

[Edited on 11-3-2008 by LAUJJL]
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

Using a DATA variable is definitely the way to do this - see chapter 16 in the User's Guide.

Just a thought, but if you really want to look at energy consumption solar loading will be almost as important as temperature. If you don't have data on that using a mean daily temperature combined with some sort of cloud cover index might give you more accurate results than hourly values.
Louis

Post by Louis »

ok, I will study the user's Guide (minimum chapter 16^^)

thank you for your advice!!