DELAY CONVERTOR Usage Question

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
skendall

DELAY CONVERTOR Usage Question

Post by skendall »

I am studying the use of discrete models to apply in our test process modeling effort. I will have a series of questions so I'll post them separately.

The DELAY CONVEYOR question is, if I have units arriving at the conveyor, having a conveyance time of say 4 days, how does one allow for multiple (parallel) conveyors. For example I have 12 lines working on these units with each line having a 4 day conveyance time. How are the parallel efforts accounted for?
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

It sounds like you have stuff coming off, say, a truck, then being dumped on different lines. If you want to model that you need to specify line capacities and then the algorithm for dispatching to the different lines (eg ALLOCATE AVAILABLE might be used). However, if all the lines has the same throughput time why bother? If you are interested in failure it might be more effective to get rid of the conveyor concept altogether and just keep a stock of work in progress with a throughput draining it (outflow = MIN(level/min process time, available capacity).