....... is not used in the model

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
nikvyas

....... is not used in the model

Post by nikvyas »

Morning/afternoon/evening everyone.

I'm getting a particularly annoying error message that is preventing me from running my model.

"variable1 is not used in the model"

I'm getting this message for every single variable that is at the end of a logic chain. - these variables are used to display the results......................they aren't supposed to feed into another variable!

Could somebody please help me to eradicate this annoyance?

Thanks

Nik
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

In the Vensim equation editor, tick the "Supplementary" box and the errors will go away.

They should not stop you running your models though.

Tony.
nikvyas

Post by nikvyas »

Tony - they do stop me from running the model because I get the message

"Model has errors and cannot be simulated"

Are you saying that I am going to have to go to every one of the variables that is at the end of a chain and check the supplementary box? Why? I haven't had to do so before ...................... I don't have the time ....................I don't see why I should have to - surely you should be more interested in why this is happening as opposed to offering a "quick fix".

Could you tell me WHY I am getting this message and whether this bug can be corrected?

[Edited on 9-9-2008 by nikvyas]
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

The message you describe occurs on a check model to indicate that some variables are not used. It can be helpful as it may indicate feedback loops that are not closed.

It does not, however, prevent simulation. So, unless you are using a very old version of Vensim, it seems likely there is another error that is preventing simulation. Given when this is showing up the most likely error is "Used, Not computed..." which means you have not defined all the subscript elements for a variable. Scroll through the error list looking for different messages or use View>As Text and then check the model and it may be easier to find.
nikvyas

Post by nikvyas »

Thanks Bob and Tony.

You are both right - the error message masked the fact that there are other real errors involving the subscripts.

I've tried to trace the cause of the error but am unable to do so. Bob - is there a chance you could have a quick look if I were to email you the model? Unfortunately I'm not able to attach it to this bb.

Thanks

Nik
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

certainly you can email me the model - typically Used not computed results from a subscript subrange being used in the definition of a variable that appears on the RHS of an equation using the full subscript.
nikvyas

Post by nikvyas »

Thanks for the offer Bob - been away for a while, so just read your post.

I've sorted the problem out - it turned out that I had made a couple of silly mistakes (mis-named a couple of subscript elements). It seems to be running OK now.