ragged arrows

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
zghofrani

ragged arrows

Post by zghofrani »

Dear all,

I am trying to draw a causal loop diagrdam in Vensim and then save it as a .pdf file so as to use it in my writing (thesis and papers). I do these steps:

1) draw the Vensim model
2) select all and copy
3) Paste in the "paint" program
4) select all in "paint" and copy
5) paste in a Powerpoint presentation
6) save the Powerpoint file as a .pdf file

The problem is that the arrows seem to lack enough resolution in Vensim and they look ragged and not smooth. I would appreciate it if you help me solve my problem. The problem originates from Vensim, itself (and not “paint” or “MS Powerpoint”), because the model file in Vensim does not look that nice. For explaining exactly what I mean, I attached a pdf file. In this pdf file please pay attention how the causal loop diagram of page 157 looks nicer than the one on page 116. I wonder how the nice causal loop diagrams of the book "Business Dynamics" by John Sterman were drawn. I am looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Zeinab Ghofrani
Zeinab.ghofrani@gmail.com
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

By pasting into Paint, you are converting a vector drawing into a bitmap. That's where the problem is (not with Vensim).

Can you use something like PDF995 to print directly from Vensim to a PDF file?
zghofrani

Post by zghofrani »

Dear Administrator;

I really appreciate your useful suggestion. I downloaded pdf995 and tried to save the Vensim model as a pdf file and the result was great. The only problem I have is that I want to have the causal loop diagram span all over the pdf file. I tried different options of the pdf995 (fill printed page, fit view to page, and ...) but was unsuccessful. I would appreciate it if you help me with that.

Thanks again
Zeinab Ghofrani
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Why not paste directly from Vensim into the Powerpoint presentation? That would preserve the vector graphics.