Using system dynamics in solid engineering problem

Use this forum to discuss any issues relating to Systems Dynamics and Systems Thinking.
icedrop

Using system dynamics in solid engineering problem

Post by icedrop »

Hello all,

I'm a student puzzling with quite unclear problem. I was recently asked to use system dynamical approach to help modelling the problematic machine (crane system), which is vibrating too much. Probably I would use system dynamics to find "latent variables", and then use some multibody dynamics simulator to simulate the crane. So, I would use system dynamics to find the roots for problematic behaviour.

Do you have any idea how to do this kind of stuff? I'm a mechanical engineering student myself, and this approach seems like a confusing to me. How to combine mechanical problem and system dynamics with each other? And more importantly, why? Google does not seem to give any hits how to combine solid engineering and system dynamics.

hopefully you understood something about my post. I don't know much about system dynamics, so any hint to right direction would be apprechiated bery much,

Thanks for your answer beforehand!

-Icedrop
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Re: Using system dynamics in solid engineering problem

Post by LAUJJL »

May be you confuse the field of dynamical systems and system dynamics. It is not quite the same thing although having similarities.
The fiels of dynamical systems is generally more appropriate to your problem than SD.
Regards.
JJ