an amateur question

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
amateur
Vensim version: PLE

an amateur question

Post by amateur »

hey guys
excuse me for 1-my poor english language 2-my amateur question

can anyone model this question for me :

we have 3 departments (ICU , SDU , ward)
patient arrival rate to ICU = 10 per day
ICU capacity : 10 Beds
patient LOS in ICU = 1 day and then transferred to SDU
SDU capacity : 10 beds
patient LOS in SDU = 2 day and then transferred to ward
ward capacity : 10 beds
patient LOS in ward = 1 day and then discharged to home

with best regards
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Re: an amateur question

Post by LAUJJL »

HI

Without modeling it looks like having a bottleneck with the SDU department. One must desribe what happens with the patients that cannot integrate the department because it is full.

Regards.

JJ
amateur

Post by amateur »

LAUJJL wrote:HI

Without modeling it looks like having a bottleneck with the SDU department. One must desribe what happens with the patients that cannot integrate the department because it is full.

Regards.

JJ
tnx very much for your reply.

to be honest i just want to someone model it for me that i understand the way that we can introduce LOS and fixed capacity to our model (if the SDU LOS making problem for modelling the problem put SDU LOS = 1 day )

Regards
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi amateur

The question you ask is very simple and making a model is too, but what is the interest?

Il your objective is to learn SD, you must study first the Vensim user guide. You will then be able to build that simple model by yourself.

if your are working for an organisation or un client, the problem must be more complex than that, and nobody will build the complete model for you.

Then whatever the case, you will have either to start studying SD, or find a consultant to do the job for you.

Best regards.

JJ
amateur

Post by amateur »

LAUJJL wrote:Hi amateur

The question you ask is very simple and making a model is too, but what is the interest?

Il your objective is to learn SD, you must study first the Vensim user guide. You will then be able to build that simple model by yourself.

if your are working for an organisation or un client, the problem must be more complex than that, and nobody will build the complete model for you.

Then whatever the case, you will have either to start studying SD, or find a consultant to do the job for you.

Best regards.

JJ
dude i read the vensim manual but i have just 2 questions that i can't find the answer of them in manual
1- how can i consider LOS in model(or time in system )?
2-how can i consider fixed capacity ( in levels such as : ICU , ... )?
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

1) from Little's Law, the average residence time in a stock is (stock/outflow). If you need more disequilibrium detail, you can create an explicit coflow to keep track of accumulating time. I think there have been a couple threads here on the topic. Something like http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=5318

2) fixed capacity could be interpreted several ways, e.g., beds or service rate?

If it constrains beds, the admission of patients might be constrained by the availability of beds. Your inflow of admitting would then be constrained to (empty beds/min time to admit), perhaps plus a term for anticipation of beds emptying due to the outflow of servicing patients.

If it constrains the service rate, then you'd have something like releasing = MIN( patients/normal service time, max service capacity ).