Variables Missing from View

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
jordan888
Vensim version: DSS

Variables Missing from View

Post by jordan888 »

Hi,

I am using Vensim DSS 6.1 on Windows 7.

I'm having a problem that I just noticed as of late. When I save and exit my model, then re-open it, some of the variables are not shown in the view but still exist as shadow variables (ex- if I search for a variable name it says it cannot find it in any view, but I can still place it as a shadow variable and then open it in the equation editor). My model still runs fine when this happens, but it's annoying because I cannot see how everything is connected. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to retrieve it?

EDIT: I've tried pressing h, ctrlA, unhide but nothing pops up

Thanks,

Jordan
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Variables Missing from View

Post by Administrator »

Each Vensim view can have anything from the underlying model displayed on it. And you can also have a model that has new views at all. So it's easy to have a model with many views, and some parameters do not appear in any of them.

You will need to post the model and let us know what parameters you are having trouble with in order for us to assist.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
jordan888

Post by jordan888 »

My model is attached.

The following variables (are either level or auxilliary) plus their inflows and outflows are missing:
-Junction 94
-Junction 95
- Langdon Reservour
- Cowoki Lake
- Tilley Reservour
- Kitsim Reservour
- Snake Lake
- Rock Reservour

They should be in the view "Reservoiurs".
Attachments
NewModel_Oct27b.mdl
(155.11 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I can see the problem, but not sure how it happened. Do you have any earlier versions, in which they're still present on the diagram, that we could compare?
jordan888

Post by jordan888 »

This is the most recent version, before I noticed this strange occurrence. I have not yet built 'Junction 94' and 'Junction 95' in this version, but everything else should be there.
Attachments
NewModel_Oct22b.mdl
(241.54 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

The 22b version looks corrupted as well. Only about 10-20% of the first Reservoir view loads.

It's still not clear what the problem really is. The diagram is large, but I've seen bigger, so I don't think that's the issue.

Generally, switching back and forth between text and sketch view can cause small bits of structure (links, not variables) to drop out, due to undefined equations, but that's normal and wouldn't cause large chunks to disappear as here.

Anything unusual about your setup? Very large monitor? Doing diff/merge with source control tools? Mixing platforms or versions?

Do you have a still-older version to look at?
jordan888

Post by jordan888 »

Here is an older version. There are many variables here that have been deleted (on purpose) before the newer versions. The left portion of the 'Reservours' view contains many variables linked together. This portion initially started out as an experiment, but got much too big so I removed it (I might look at subscripts and import a simpler version of it later). I haven't noticed missing variables in any of the versions prior to me erasing that big chunk of variables on the left, so maybe removing these has something to do with it. I'm not sure the connection though, since nothing I built in the latest two versions uses any of the deleted variables (variables I deleted on purpose, not the ones that mysteriously went missing), nor did I delete any shadow variables.
Attachments
NewModel_Oct15.mdl
(407.6 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

NewModel_Oct27b-restore3.mdl
(405.91 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
NewModel_Oct15-Reorg.mdl
(905.96 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
The bad news: I still don't know why this happened.

The good news: I was able to restore the diagram from the Oct_15 version.

First, I edited to the 15 file to break up the large diagram into several chunks.

Then, using a text editor, I copied the new diagrams from the _15 file and appended them to the sketch info in the _27b file. Sketches start with

Code: Select all

\\\---/// Sketch information - do not modify anything except names
V300  Do not put anything below this section - it will be ignored
*Reservoiurs
and are sometimes followed by custom graphs,

///---\\\
:TABLE Reservoiurs
:TITLE Reservoiurs
:PRETTYNUM
:FIRST-CELLWIDTH 30
and settings gobbledygook,

:L<%^E!@
1:Current.vdf
9:Current
22:$,Dollar,Dollars,$s
so you have to pay attention to insert diagrams in the right spot.

In hindsight I possibly could have done a copy/paste directly from sketch to sketch, but this way I was sure that it would work without touching any equations. Vensim is fairly tolerant of defective diagrams - it just doesn't render variables that don't exist.

The inserted versions seem OK, except for all the deleted variables. Hopefully this will give you a basis for continuing.
jordan888

Post by jordan888 »

Thank you!

Yes, I can now work from the restored model.