Data loss in SFD: how to trace?

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
muhdfirdaus
Vensim version: PLE

Data loss in SFD: how to trace?

Post by muhdfirdaus »

I am writing to inquiry on how to trace loss data in my SFD model?
Some of my stocks and flows (mainly the auxiliaries variables) are missing from the SD diagram; right after reopening my Vensim PLE .
It happened to me twice and I am very sure that I have saved all my works.
Is that common with Vensim? Can they be retrieved?

Hope someone can help me on this.

Thank you
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Data loss in SFD: how to trace?

Post by tomfid »

Can you post the model and describe what disappeared?

This is not normal or common.
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi

It may come from the appearance switching from show to hide, when saving a model and opening it again.

This at least what happens in my DSS version. If I modify a variable in a view, if the view was in show mode, it switches to hide mode? I do not know how to avoid that. I would like the mode for each view to stay the same when saving the model and not having to set all views to show if I want to see all the variables. When I work on a view, it is always in show mode, because I need to see all the variables to add or change the place of a variable.

Is there an otion to avoid that?

Regards.

JJ
muhdfirdaus

Post by muhdfirdaus »

Hi guys,
This is still a working model with many levels of stocks and not completely finished yet in term of model structure and units. Its quite complex and I think I can only share it in a pdf file
I have decided to use the information arrow (blue) rather than a flow in the demands site given its not representing the flow of population groups; but their needs for treatments (as attached here).
However, those in the middle (auxiliary variables) and; the right bottom which originally stocks and flow has been replaced by the information arrow (blue); they went missing once i reopened my vensim.

Thank you.
Attachments
diagram.pdf
(113.96 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

A PDF is useless to us.

If you can give us a model that shows one image, and on opening shows another, we can test and find out where the problem is. My gut feeling is that you might have accidentally deleted an arrow and Vensim put one back for you.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
muhdfirdaus

Post by muhdfirdaus »

Hi guys,
I attached hereby the Vensim file which also get crash.

Many thanks
:)
Attachments
Templat.mdl
(4.43 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Can you give instructions please? I can open the model and simulate it with no problems.

Units are important!
muhdfirdaus

Post by muhdfirdaus »

Hi,
What do you mean you can open the model?
I am now using PLEx32 and it appear like this; attached pdf.

What I am going to ask is my instruction to put a max number of both local and international graduates at 900 is not happened as instructed.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Attachments
Presentation1.pdf
(53.13 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I can open it and run it. It looks like templat.pdf but not diagram.pdf (presumably that is something else?).

However, the structure is nonstandard. If I drag the shadow variables that appear below the stock elsewhere, I can see that they're connected with information arrows, rather than rates. Also, the inputs to the stock are themselves stocks (defined with INTEG), so I'm not sure how this can really work, even if the diagram were correct. One symptom of this is units - stocks need units of stuff, and associated flows have units of stuff/time, but that is not observed here.

It's possible that the missing structures are related to problems with the equations, but it's hard to tell without an original to work from.

Can you explain what this model should be doing?
muhdfirdaus

Post by muhdfirdaus »

Hi,
Thank you for your feedback.
I tried to drag the variables as instructed by you; however it didn't appeared as it should be? For your information, my other models which much more complicated also crashed. I think to drag these variables is not as as simple and appear weird. Do you know how to convert it to their original view. It happened to me twice and I am now stop doing more complex model as it worried me most.

Regarding the previous original model; i have amended the model by replacing the flow of both local + international graduates with blue arrow to the stock of 'new registered officers'. It is the best thing I could done to get all the units right.

Again; I have no idea why my instruction to put the max number of both local and international graduates at 900 is not happened as instructed; as well as the total new registered is not tally with the total amount of local and international graduates counted manually.
Attachments
Templat - Copy - Copy.mdl
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

I don't understand what you are asking here. The model runs fine for me (it does not crash). If you have a model that crashes, please let us see it and we can take a look.

Regarding the maximum value (900). Vensim will not force a variable to stop at a maximum value, it will just warn you. I've uploaded a model that will max at 900 so you can see how it's done.
Attachments
Templat - Copy - Copy.mdl
(5.2 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

Units are important!
muhdfirdaus

Post by muhdfirdaus »

My apologies for assuming it was crashed at first place; actually it hidden somewhere and been automatically converted to hidden variable as appear in my screen before.
Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,