Redistributing an application

Use this forum to post Sable related questions.

Moderator: Administrator

mashayekhi

Redistributing an application

Post by mashayekhi »

Hi;

Using the Inno Setup 4 and the steps given for preparing files for redistribution, I have tried to make an installation package. I am facing few problems which I hope someone could help me with. The problems are:

1. I followed the steps given by the Vensim developer to encrypt the model files. However, when I tried opening the encrypted files with Sable Run Time, I got an error saying Sable Run Time couldn’t open the files! So I decided to not encrypt the files and just make the installation package for now.

2. Making the package with non-encrypt files was partially successful. I was able to install the program in a new directory and open the model with Sable Run Time. One problem remained: The user has to open Sable Run Time first, then load the model file (*.vnp file). How can I get around this? How could I make an exe file perhaps that would first open Sable Run Time then load myfile.VNP automatically?

3. I tried installing the package I created in a clean computer (one that didn’t have Vensim or Sable). First it gave me an error asking for vendll32.dll. I put that file in the “model” sub-directory and also in the system directory. The file.VNP could be opened, but the *.VGF files couldn’t be open. Is this because they were not encrypted?

4. Finally (for now at least), I noticed there is a file called SableRunTimeRedist.exe which is supposed to be in the redistribution CD. I don’t have that file in the CD I got! Right now I do the installing of Sable Run Time manually, i.e. putting the necessary files where there are suppose to be. Is it possible to get the SableRunTimeRedist.exe via internet?

Your response and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ali
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Hello Ali,

Answers below.

>> 1. I followed the steps given by the Vensim developer to encrypt the model files.
>> However, when I tried opening the encrypted files with Sable Run Time, I got an
>> error saying Sable Run Time couldn’t open the files! So I decided to not encrypt
>> the files and just make the installation package for now.
Check the company name (as I suggested in the other thread).

>> 2. Making the package with non-encrypt files was partially successful. I was able
>> to install the program in a new directory and open the model with Sable Run Time.
>> One problem remained: The user has to open Sable Run Time first, then load the
>> model file (*.vnp file). How can I get around this? How could I make an exe file
>> perhaps that would first open Sable Run Time then load myfile.VNP automatically?
When you install a shortcut icon into the start menu, you need to make sure that the
shortcut is to SableRT.exe, and then pass the path of the .VNP file as a command
line parameter.

>> 3. I tried installing the package I created in a clean computer (one that didn’t
>> have Vensim or Sable). First it gave me an error asking for vendll32.dll. I put
>> that file in the “model” sub-directory and also in the system directory. The
>> file.VNP could be opened, but the *.VGF files couldn’t be open. Is this because
>> they were not encrypted?
Those files should have been fine. It could mean that they were encrypted.

>> 4. Finally (for now at least), I noticed there is a file called SableRunTimeRedist.exe
>> which is supposed to be in the redistribution CD. I don’t have that file in the CD I
>> got! Right now I do the installing of Sable Run Time manually, i.e. putting the
>> necessary files where there are suppose to be. Is it possible to get the
>> SableRunTimeRedist.exe via internet?
This file is no longer available, we decided to stop its distribution because it is a
silent installation, users should really know what they are installing onto their machine.

If you can send me the .iss file (info@ventanasystems.co.uk) from your Inno setup I
should be able to have a quick look and check things are in the right places.

Tony.