Initializing model

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Jindu
Vensim version: PLE

Initializing model

Post by Jindu »

Hi Everyone.

I am trying to initialize the attached model (a push inventory system) in a balanced equilibrium maybe the equation and/or structure is wrong. Please help.

Many thanks.
Attachments
Experiment.mdl
(6.62 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Initializing model

Post by Administrator »

I'd suggest maybe looking at initialising the levels properly. At t = 0, the work in progress inventory is zero, so you will never start with a steady state.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I think you've forgotten a term in desired production - currently it only adjusts the inventory level. It also needs to replace inventory losses (sales, or in your case expected orders, I think).
Jindu

Post by Jindu »

Thanks for your reply. I have included the term in desired production but it still does not initialize in a balanced equilibrium.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

You have the same kind of problem in your Desired Production Start Rate - it adjusts for WIP, but absent a shortage of WIP, it won't produce anything.
Jindu

Post by Jindu »

I do understand. However, I am trying to build a PUSH Model - if I follow through your suggestion the model would become a push/pull model. I don't know whether you understand.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I see what you're getting at, but in a push system, there still needs to be an expectation or forecast of sales that governs how much to push.
Jindu

Post by Jindu »

Thanks. I will try to figure out how to characterize your suggestion.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

You could create something like a "desired push rate" which represents the material to be sent through the chain. Then you'd have to have some kind of flexible policy at the sales end, like pricing and promotion needed to ensure that sales are sufficient to keep inventory from piling up or running short.
Jindu

Post by Jindu »

Thank you for your response to my inquiry. I appreciate the information you have provided me with and I appreciate the prompt reply. I just need to think of how to input the equation of the desired push rate.
Jindu

Post by Jindu »

I have created "desired push rate" as suggested but the model still doesn’t start at equilibrium in the attached (push) model. I guess the information link and/or equations I modeled are incorrect. Please help on how to do this thanks.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Attachment missing?
Jindu

Post by Jindu »

Here is the attached push model I am trying to build that does not start in a balanced equilibrium. I guess the information link and/or equations are incorrect I would really appreciate any help to overcome this problem. Thanks.
Attachments
Experiment.mdl
(6.62 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

This would be in equilibrium if desired push rate = customer order rate. However, there's no feedback enforcing that. Either the push rate must be based on some long-term expectation that is responsive to demand, or the demand must be responsive to inventory (e.g., through discount pricing).
Jindu

Post by Jindu »

Thanks I really appreciate your help.