changing the "Map Layer"

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
apm

changing the "Map Layer"

Post by apm »

How do you change the "Map Layer" in the visualizer, or is this meant to stay the same all the time, i.e. a map of the world?

Thanks,
Andy
tomfid
Administrator

Re: changing the "Map Layer"

Post by tomfid »

It's a basemap - it'll show resolution-appropriate material scaled to the rest of your data. But if you use it too much, it'll probably get shut down by the host. It's a loose end we're working on.

You can disable it via the Layer menu.
apm

Post by apm »

OK - thanks. What I'm looking for eventually is a way to label areas of the visualization - but I'm not using shapefiles since my application doesn't involve GIS maps directly. The legends get part of the way there, but I'd like to have general text labels instead of using codes. For example, my application has a sector entity, with IDs like healthcare, energy, financial, etc. I'd like to place these IDs at specific locations on the visualization as labels for the sector, rather than a code for the sector in the legend. My understanding is that you can't do that yet, but you'll be extending the capabilities as time goes on.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

You can use the tooltip field. Not sure what the status is, but here's the latest from the dev team:

The current tooltip implementation goes as follows :
1) You can put any text you want
2) some html formatting applies, like <br> for new line and <b></b> for bold
3) variables are introduced using curly brackets {}. Inside those brackets you can either put the name (case sensitive) of the shp file attribute (in screenshots bellow it's the GEOID, you can use other attributes as well), or you can put one of the two Ventity reserved keywords
-EntityColor (which in this example will evaluate to the Population variable) or
-EntityID (which in this example will evaluate to the GeoId attribute)
Work in progress:
1) add also actual variable names. Example {GEOID} - Some var: {auxiliary1}