Vensim flicks and flips off completely sometimes

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Simplifier
Vensim version: PRO

Vensim flicks and flips off completely sometimes

Post by Simplifier »

It's been a year that there is sometime a problem with my vensim app when I am working on some of my models. It flicks and flips off completely when I click on some of the constructs of my models. The problem mostly happens when I get my models to some sort of constructing extreme.

My laptop is Macbook air. I have reinstalled the operating system and both the OS and venism app are up to date.

Could you please advise me?

Thanks.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Vensim flicks and flips off completely sometimes

Post by Administrator »

Can you upload the problem model and give step by step instructions on how to make vensim do this? Also let us know the exact version of vensim and the operating system you are running.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
Simplifier

Post by Simplifier »

Administrator wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:46 am Can you upload the problem model and give step by step instructions on how to make vensim do this? Also let us know the exact version of vensim and the operating system you are running.
Thanks for your reply.

I can send you some of my problem models, but the thing is that sometimes vensim is fixated on some of the constructions of my model, sometime on the others, and sometime not at all. It's like it is going through some mood swings or sth.

Vensim Professional for Macintosh 7.3.5 Single Precision
MacOS Mojave version 10.14.6
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

In order to fix any bugs, we need step by step instructions on how to make Vensim crash.

Units are important!
Simplifier

Post by Simplifier »

Administrator wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:06 pm In order to fix any bugs, we need step by step instructions on how to make Vensim crash.
The file attached here is one of my models that I have recently started constructing. Sometimes in the early stages construction my vensim would suddenly crash (for example by selecting and clicking on a construct for example or when selected by moving it bit around). Now no matter which construct I want to select the vensim abruptly crashes.
Attachments
Final SD model for powertrain technologies ICEV, HEV, and BEV (coulorful)2.mdl
(262.11 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Does this happen when you are editing the diagram - adding arrows, moving variables, etc. - or when you're in the equation editor?
Simplifier

Post by Simplifier »

tomfid wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:06 pm Does this happen when you are editing the diagram - adding arrows, moving variables, etc. - or when you're in the equation editor?
It does happen almost only when I move things around or as soon as I click on one. Really frustrating!!!
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

ok, I'm getting crashes as well and I know why.

The reason is simple. The bottom toolbar in Vensim shows the x and y coordinates of the variable when you click it. But they can only store small numbers and are being overloaded as the view is so large (which causes an exception).

The solution would be to put the various parts of the model into separate views rather than one giant view.

I'll try in the morning to see if I can come up with a workaround for you.

Units are important!
Simplifier

Post by Simplifier »

Administrator wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:45 pm ok, I'm getting crashes as well and I know why.

The reason is simple. The bottom toolbar in Vensim shows the x and y coordinates of the variable when you click it. But they can only store small numbers and are being overloaded as the view is so large (which causes an exception).

The solution would be to put the various parts of the model into separate views rather than one giant view.

I'll try in the morning to see if I can come up with a workaround for you.
Thanks very much, however I still dont know how to manage them without copy and paste and overdoing the works.

I'll wait for your workaround then.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

I've uploaded two versions of your model. Both are identical to yours (try running and using runs compare), but I've split some of the sketch into separate views.

You can navigate the views using "Page up" and "Page down" buttons, or using the view selector. Look at the bottom left of the Vensim window, look for the text "View 1" or "Intro" depending on which model you look at. Click this and it will allow you to select other "views" or "pages" of the model.

Let me know if this makes sense.

One other note. You could probably simplify the model a lot by using subscripts. It looks like lost of the model structure has been copied/pasted, subscripting (or arrays) would have made this much easier.
Attachments
Final SD model for powertrain technologies ICEV, HEV, and BEV (coulorful)2 Views.mdl
(275.79 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Final SD model for powertrain technologies ICEV, HEV, and BEV (coulorful)2 Modified 2.mdl
(274.58 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

Units are important!
Simplifier

Post by Simplifier »

Last edited by Simplifier on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplifier

Post by Simplifier »

Administrator wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:02 am I've uploaded two versions of your model. Both are identical to yours (try running and using runs compare), but I've split some of the sketch into separate views.

You can navigate the views using "Page up" and "Page down" buttons, or using the view selector. Look at the bottom left of the Vensim window, look for the text "View 1" or "Intro" depending on which model you look at. Click this and it will allow you to select other "views" or "pages" of the model.

Let me know if this makes sense.

One other note. You could probably simplify the model a lot by using subscripts. It looks like lost of the model structure has been copied/pasted, subscripting (or arrays) would have made this much easier.
Oh thanks very much for putting your thoughts and time on this. Really got things much easier. Seem both reasonable and convenient to go through. However, I have two concerns. First, If I want to connect an item from one view to an item in another view, for example through arrows, shall I use shadow variable? Second, how can I see all the parts in the views that have been been connected as a whole together in one view?

Yes, it's about three technologies, each having the same variables, stocks and constants. But the concern is that if use subscripting option, is it still possible to connect those subscribed items to each other? Would it work?
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Simplifier wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:27 amHowever, I have two concerns. First, If I want to connect an item from one view to an item in another view, for example through arrows, shall I use shadow variable?
Yes.
Simplifier wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:27 amSecond, how can I see all the parts in the views that have been been connected as a whole together in one view?
You would need to do what you are doing (everything in one big sketch), but you will continue to experience crashes (I'll implement a fix for this in the next Vensim release). But I find the giant view unusable, you cannot see anything with a sketch so large. It's much easier to split things into separate views where you can examine related model structure easily.
Simplifier wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:27 amYes, it's about three technologies, each having the same variables, stocks and constants. But the concern is that if use subscripting option, is it still possible to connect those subscribed items to each other? Would it work?
Yes, it would work.

Units are important!
Simplifier

Post by Simplifier »

Administrator wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 am
Simplifier wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:27 amHowever, I have two concerns. First, If I want to connect an item from one view to an item in another view, for example through arrows, shall I use shadow variable?
Yes.
Simplifier wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:27 amSecond, how can I see all the parts in the views that have been been connected as a whole together in one view?
You would need to do what you are doing (everything in one big sketch), but you will continue to experience crashes (I'll implement a fix for this in the next Vensim release). But I find the giant view unusable, you cannot see anything with a sketch so large. It's much easier to split things into separate views where you can examine related model structure easily.
Simplifier wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:27 amYes, it's about three technologies, each having the same variables, stocks and constants. But the concern is that if use subscripting option, is it still possible to connect those subscribed items to each other? Would it work?
Yes, it would work.
Very helpful. Thanks very much for your invaluable, yet quick advice.