Problem with sketch view using GET DIRECT SUBCRIPTS

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
RobbieOrvis
Vensim version: DSS

Problem with sketch view using GET DIRECT SUBCRIPTS

Post by RobbieOrvis »

Hello,

We are trying to explore using Github for source management for the Energy Policy Simulator at Travis Franck's suggestion.

We tried setting the model up for this today by changing the model settings (using DSS v9.3.5).

Our modified settings are:

FILE FORMAT OPTIONS
Equation Order: Alphabetical by Group
Equation Format: Verbose

MODEL SETTINGS
(Yes) Store user specific settings in a separate file
(Default) Override sketch zoom
(No) Ignore "not used in model" warning messages when checking model
(No) Disable sketch recenter on edit

After making these changes to the model settings, upon reopening the model is stuck in text mode. When I try to view as sketch, I get an error stating that there is a syntax error on line 22816, which in the text refers to the line (and only line) using the GET DIRECT SUBSCRIPT command:

Policy Element : GET DIRECT SUBSCRIPT ,'', 'A', 'A2', ',', 'InputData/plcy-schd/FoPITY/FoPITY-policy-elements.csv'\
, 'InputData/plcy-schd/FoPITY/FoPITY-policy-elements.csv',
',',
'A2',
'A',
''
~
~ |

It appears that perhaps there is a compatibility issue in which this command is not supported?

This is a very important command in the Energy Policy Simulator, so we cannot replace it.

The current version of the EPS can downloaded at the following link in order to replicate this issue: https://github.com/EnergyInnovation/eps ... /3.4.4.zip
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Problem with sketch view using GET DIRECT SUBCRIPTS

Post by Administrator »

Are you using Dropbox at all?

That looks corrupt. It should be something like

Policy Element : GET DIRECT SUBSCRIPT ( 'InputData/plcy-schd/FoPITY/FoPITY-policy-elements.csv'\
'A2',
'A',
'')
~
~ |
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
RobbieOrvis

Post by RobbieOrvis »

We aren't for this, but I will relay this to Jeff. I'm pretty sure that's just how it was stored as text when we used the equation edtor.

As an aside, I retried the model settings change without changing the Equation Format to Verbose, and the problem appears to have gone away. So maybe it's an issue either with how we wrote the equation or an issue with using Verbose with GET DIRECT SUBSCRIPTS.
RobbieOrvis

Post by RobbieOrvis »

More generally, it appears that adding equations is still creating changes to the formatting section of the .mdl file which is preventing us from being able to merge changes across multiple branches for the .mdl file, which was the goal of this exercise. Do you have any other guidance on this?

The .mdls file has very little information in it and looks primarily to store a small amount of user settings, like the last active variable.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I think it's likely that there's an issue with verbose and GET DIRECT SUBSCRIPTS.

The .mdls is a sidecar file containing settings that are likely to be volatile. Putting mdls on the ignore list for source control is generally going to be the right thing to do.

File format suggestions in the other thread.