Problem plotting in pasture model

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
Jack Harich
Vensim version: DSS

Problem plotting in pasture model

Post by Jack Harich »

More on version 4.9b. I got pretty far along in the Help exercises and Garcia's book. Then I decided to run through the Help exercises again, starting with Exercise 1, and encountered a possible bug or corrupted file. This is attached.

The symptoms are I cannot graph either variable. Plot Variable is grayed out in both using the right click menu. I can drag and drop a variable on a Chart on the diagram. But all that happens is the name of variable appears on the chart. No grid or line appears.

I tried again with a new model. It worked fine.

Still, my first impressions of Ventity are it's a tremendous design. I'm looking forward to applying it.

Thanks!
Attachments
Exercisel 1.zip
(8.74 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Ventity 4.9b Available

Post by tomfid »

The issue with the model is that there aren't any pasture entities in the input data. Either add one, or switch to "No Data" (which really means "one of each entitytype").
Jack Harich

Re: Problem plotting in pasture model

Post by Jack Harich »

Thanks Tom. Sorry about this beginner error. But still, I worked very hard to figure it out and could not.

Thus I would suggest a warning that the data needed is not there. Just an idea.

Also, I'm not getting an email notifications on replies. I seem to have my account settings set to do this.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Jack Harich wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:37 am Thanks Tom. Sorry about this beginner error. But still, I worked very hard to figure it out and could not.
I think you're doing fairly advanced stuff.
Thus I would suggest a warning that the data needed is not there. Just an idea.
This is a bit tricky, because missing data is often intentional. Will ponder.
Also, I'm not getting an email notifications on replies. I seem to have my account settings set to do this.
Check your spam folder - we've had problems with a lot of mail hosts junking this forum. AFAIK the SPF and DKIM are right, so not sure how to fix it on our end.
Jack Harich

Post by Jack Harich »

This is a bit tricky, because missing data is often intentional. Will ponder.
Well, so much data was missing the graph was blank. In a case like that, you also have the option of putting a clear explanation of what happened and suggestion in the empty graph, such as "There is no data to graph. Have you initialized the run properly?"

Thanks for the tip to check my spam catcher, I forget that so often. The log of ALL email shows in the last week the only email received from ventanasystems.co.uk is one I received this morning. Curiously, the subject was 'Quoted in "Problem plotting in pasture model" '. So I do receive that type of notification, but not for replies. My forum account notification settings are attached. When this problem occurred, the first thing I did was check settings for the topic. As expected, I was automatically subscribed to the topic, so no changes needed. I've attached two images.
Attachments
VentanaForumTopicSettings.png
VentanaForumTopicSettings.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
VentanaForumSettings.png
VentanaForumSettings.png (27.54 KiB) Viewed 2750 times