GET XLS DATA stops at 65536

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
fabian.werner

GET XLS DATA stops at 65536

Post by fabian.werner »

Hi,

I have a complex demand scenario stored in Excel2007 (.xlsx). It contains 87000 values (10 years on an hourly base). It is no Problem to read the first 65536 values into Vensim (5.2 DSS), but then I receive the following error message: "WARNING: Simulating beyond range for exogenous variable - TotalDemand - at time 65536."

Is there any way to fix this problem? Excel2007 does not contain the 65536 (2byte) row limitation any more.

Thanks
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Limitation of the number of exogenous data

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi

I cannot answer your questions about the limitation, but working with a model that will have 87000 time steps seems
absurd!
The best thing to do is to agregate the data at least within a day time step that still gives 365 * 8 time steps and better a month time step that gives already 96 time steps to work with!
I would not advice mixing SD with too detailed data, expecially to that point.
Or the solution is to make two or three models, one that has an hour time step and for horizon a week, another with a week time step, that has an horizon of say 6 months and a third model with a six months time step and an 8 years horizon. But you cannot solve short term problems and long term problems at the same time.
Regards.
JJ
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

You should update to the latest version which uses OLE instead of DDE to connect to spreadsheets. Theoretically that should solve the problem though this has not been tested.