using reality checks in a script

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

using reality checks in a script

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi

Is is possible to run a reality checks from a script (batch processing)? I did not find any command doing that.
I may need it, because I fear that some reality checks may not be succesful because of the data entered that will vary and not because of the structure or the equations of the model that do not.
Regards.
JJ
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

Hi JJ,

there is no facility to run Reality Checks from a script - the Reality Check functionality is itself scriptlike, so we had not considered this. it is also focussed largely on structure which should make it insensitive to data entered (though not completely insensitive).

If you think data entered will drive failure then it may be possible to do something to validate the data entered. I am not sure Reality Check statements would be the most effective way of doing this.

i can't think of a quick workaround on this - even if you could get batch runs on Reality Checks the output format would make it hard to fugure out the results.
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Running reality checks in batch mode

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi Bob

Thank's for your answer.
I will effectively try to differentiate errors that can come from the data that are independant from the structure of the model and find some other ways to check them.
It is much more clearer too to proceed this way.
I recognize that until now all the reality checks that I have built are more data than model dependant for the model that I am considering. I shall have to verify this.
And I will try to see if there are cases when both model structure plus special data can generate errors.
In that case a modification of the structure of the model may be sufficient to solve the problem.
I can too build in the model special equations that check these special cases.
The model I am working on being strictly static (It will eventually becom dynamic later on), il will give me too the occasion to verify if reality checks are strictly dynamic oriented or if it has some value too in a static environment.
Regards.
JJ