Vensim vs Stella - please help!

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
larg0

Vensim vs Stella - please help!

Post by larg0 »

I am currently working on a project that converts vensim (text output) models to java applets. This is based on a previously written version that does the same thing, only with stella models. the stella version (named s2j) works by creating an output file that is then sent to a separate program which actually builds the applet...therefore, my task is to parse the vensim output and make a file readable by the same program which makes the applets for stella models.

everything has been going well up until this point. i am trying to implement the vensim equivalent of stellas 'graphical functions'. based on the research i have done, it seems that using an aux variable "with lookup" (in vensim) is the same thing as the "make graphical function" option (in stella). however, when i ported a stella model (using a graphical function) to vensim (using a 'with lookup' function), the results i get from the runs are not the same at all.

can anyone help me understand the vensim equivalent for graphical functions? if it is indeed the lookup table, what am i missing? are there examples anywhere online that would help me understand? this has been bothering me for over a week now, and i have been unable to resolve the issue.

it looks like what i need to do is use this "stel2ven" program to port a stella model using a 'graphical function', but it is not installed anywhere on the office computers (macs). can anyone tell me how to access this conversion program, or if it is available for download?

sidenote:
i will upload the vensim and stella models that i want to show similar output. if anyone notices a reason why they are so different, please let me know.

-larg0

[Edited on 5-22-2006 by larg0]
Attachments
rabbit.mdl
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
larg0

Post by larg0 »

stella version of the rabbit model:
Attachments

[The extension lla has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

larg0

Post by larg0 »

i think i may be ok now...i found the stel2ven program on a windows machine, and although i seem to be getting errors (it looks like whenever there's a colon), the program does give me proper vensim documentation.