spatial system dynamisc

Use this forum to discuss any issues relating to Systems Dynamics and Systems Thinking.
Vishah

spatial system dynamisc

Post by Vishah »

is there anyone who can help with this?
rshahid

Post by rshahid »

I am writing a research proposal and thinking to use spatial system dynamics by integrating GIS and system dynamics. I don't know much about it as I am a beginner in system dynamics paradigm and haven't develop any model yet. I you get any mterial I would appreciate if you share it.
maziar414

Re: spatial system dynamisc

Post by maziar414 »

Hi,
I saw several papers but at glance, I can suggest that try to find a spatial problem which has two sides:
1. Spatial aspect which can be handled in GIS platform like ArcGIS or modeler module in ERDAS Imagine.

2. Complex system aspect which can be handled in Vensim DSS (I suggest this edition because of the ability to be linked with other software during simulation).

many Geographical Information Systemis has economic or social , ... aspects which can be handled by System Dynamics.
I think you will have a Hybrid model and you should care about Interface management.

example:
finding suitable location for a village which will be disappear by our new constructing Dam.
relocating the village or integrating it to other existing village?

GIS aspect: this is a typical spatial problem.

Complex systems aspect: the dynamics of agricultural economics of the region, availability of more water for agriculture, land prices, new emerging tourism jobs (caused by new Dam establishment) vs traditional lost agricultural jobs, changing the agricultural plants or repeating previous harvesting pattern? studying the attractiveness of whole area which can create more jobs, historical building in the Dam area and effect of disappearing them on tourism and whole economic potential of the area.
and so ...
tomfid
Administrator

Re: spatial system dynamisc

Post by tomfid »

Try googling the many SD conference papers on this:

Code: Select all

site:www.systemdynamics.org/conferences/* GIS
i.e. https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... 0&bih=1034