Deleting shadow variables

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Phill
Vensim version: DSS

Deleting shadow variables

Post by Phill »

I have models with many separate 'views' and many of those views contain shadow variables. When I try to delete a shadow variable, pressing the 'Delete' key, then selecting 'Delete from this view but do not alter model structure', I find that the original variable on another view has been deleted as well. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what it is, so I'd appreciate your advice. I'm using Vensim Professional 6.3.

Phill
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Deleting shadow variables

Post by tomfid »

That's odd ... Delete -> Remove from this view but do not change model structure is what you should be using. I do it all the time. Can you post/send a model saved before/after such an operation? What OS are you on?
Phill
Vensim version: DSS

Post by Phill »

I was trying to run Vensim on a Linux Ubuntu 14.04 machine, under Wine, as that is the computer I use for R and Python. But I've now noticed that there are many other problems, apart from the deletion issue; for instance, I cannot add any new views, I can only open the ones already in the models, so I think a reinstall (or a rethink!) is needed. I'm sorry to have wasted your time and I'm going back to the Windows installation for now.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

No harm done; seems like a worthy experiment.