Sloooow GUI

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
ulrgol
Vensim version: PRO

Sloooow GUI

Post by ulrgol »

Hi, using 9.3.1. PRO When switching to the new GUI (which I like a lot) scrolling gets really slow. Also opening the customs graphs control panel takes a noticeable time, both enough to strongly disturb the workflow. Admittedly i have a large model (> 1000 variables) and > 50 custom graphs. It is so slow that working with it becomes impossible. Could be my old PC (see below), but strangely, switching to the old GUI the speed is again faster than the blink of an eye - so maybe it isn't my old PC. Anyway, are there new minimum system requirements for the new GUI?
Also, when using a table as an IO object, the new GUI does not use the display frequency setting, it always prints every DT regardless of the setting. The old GUI respects the setting.
Best, Ulrich
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.50GHz 16.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36) Board ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H110M-A/M.2 (LGA1151) HP 27q (2560x1440@59Hz) Intel HD Graphics 610
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Sloooow GUI

Post by tomfid »

Do you have one huge model view? The rendering definitely isn't as fast with the new graphics unfortunately. On the other hand, it's 100x more robust, especially cross platform. If you can share the model, we may be able to improve performance.

The custom graph panel should be fast, so prospects for improvement are good. I'll put in a ticket for the frequency glitch.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

The G4560 should perform OK, though it's a low power chip AFAIK. A current i7-12700 is about twice as fast (single core, which is what matters for the graphics I think). A four-year-old i7-8700 is 50% faster. My 5-yr-old Xeon workstation is probably not a lot faster on one core, but >30x faster multicore, which is coming soon.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

ulrgol wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:22 pm Hi, using 9.3.1. PRO When switching to the new GUI (which I like a lot) scrolling gets really slow. Also opening the customs graphs control panel takes a noticeable time, both enough to strongly disturb the workflow. Admittedly i have a large model (> 1000 variables) and > 50 custom graphs. It is so slow that working with it becomes impossible. Could be my old PC (see below), but strangely, switching to the old GUI the speed is again faster than the blink of an eye - so maybe it isn't my old PC. Anyway, are there new minimum system requirements for the new GUI?
Also, when using a table as an IO object, the new GUI does not use the display frequency setting, it always prints every DT regardless of the setting. The old GUI respects the setting.
Best, Ulrich
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.50GHz 16.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36) Board ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H110M-A/M.2 (LGA1151) HP 27q (2560x1440@59Hz) Intel HD Graphics 610
Can you share the model? There may be something in it that slows things down.

If the model is all on one view, I'd urge you to create an "overview" diagram, and have sections of the model on separate views. This makes things much easier to navigate.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559