How to export image/adjust print margins -- .png and .pdf not working?

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
sparklingraccoon
Vensim version: PLE

How to export image/adjust print margins -- .png and .pdf not working?

Post by sparklingraccoon »

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for your help. I'd like to export my workspace as an image -- .png, .pdf, or anything of high quality is what I'm after. I've tried four tactics, all with fail:

1. I directly copied and pasted to get a .bmp, which was disastrously low resolution
2. I exported as a .png, but my font was messed up significantly. I'd like to keep the font.
3. I tried "printing" and saving the resulting .pdf, but it kept cutting off the top and bottom of my diagram.
4. I took a screenshot on my high-res screen, but it's still not that clear.

I think the .pdf is the best route here. What can I do to adjust print margins so that my whole sketch is in the frame? I've been looking around the menus and I can't find anything useful.

Thank you in advance for your help, and I hope I can make this work! Also, I'm using an M1 MacBook Pro and what I hope is the latest version of Vensim, if that's helpful.

-- Noah
sparklingraccoon

Re: How to export image/adjust print margins -- .png and .pdf not working?

Also, when I do try exporting as a .pdf, I think the font sizes and variable placements get slightly messed up. Oh no!
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

What about View->Export as SVG?

My guess is that you probably have too much on your view which is why the resolution is so poor. Difficult to say though unless you upload the model.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
tc20852
Vensim version: PRO

Post by tc20852 »

An alternative is to select what you want and then paste into Inkscape (a free vector graphics program). This also allow you to do minor changes to arrows, text (generally pretty it up) and then you can save it to just about any format from there.
sparklingraccoon

Thank you for the replies!
Administrator wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:51 am What about View->Export as SVG?

My guess is that you probably have too much on your view which is why the resolution is so poor. Difficult to say though unless you upload the model.
I tried this, but the font got messed up, as I'm not using a default font. It's a lot of arrows and nodes, though -- I promise you that!
tc20852 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:43 pm An alternative is to select what you want and then paste into Inkscape (a free vector graphics program). This also allow you to do minor changes to arrows, text (generally pretty it up) and then you can save it to just about any format from there.
On this one, I have Inkscape! @tc20852, how do you copy and to paste into it, though? I tried just selecting, copying, and pasting, but it pastes into Inkscape as a highly pixelated .bmp image.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

sparklingraccoon wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:17 pm On this one, I have Inkscape! @tc20852, how do you copy and to paste into it, though? I tried just selecting, copying, and pasting, but it pastes into Inkscape as a highly pixelated .bmp image.
You need to export to SVG and open that in Inkscape.

It's difficult to offer any more advice unless you upload the model.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559