Vensim macOS New Model/Window [Bug?]

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
aliakhavan89
Vensim version: DSS

Vensim macOS New Model/Window [Bug?]

Post by aliakhavan89 »

I remember I reported this earlier:

https://youtu.be/bNcAC2Z__zQ

I've checked the settings several times, and they didn't work. It gets frustrating throughout the day to see a new window pop up whenever I open a model by double-clicking on the file. The recording is not a boomerang, and the clock changes on the top right of the screen. I did it multiple times to show that it's not happening randomly.
aliakhavan89

Re: Vensim macOS New Model/Window [Bug?]

Post by aliakhavan89 »

I just want to remind you about this unusual behavior where a new window pops up when I open a model by double-clicking it.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Yes, we are aware. There are much bigger problems with the Mac at the moment due to the latest Xcode/SDK.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
aliakhavan89

Post by aliakhavan89 »

Thank you so much for fixing this issue in the new release. Everything is very smooth now. Thanks again!
aliakhavan89

Post by aliakhavan89 »

A few other issues:

1. I have a 14-inch MacBook and I think this window was designed on a larger display because every time I have to resize it to get to the ‘Simulate’ button. The window size is restarted every time I close it.
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.04.30 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.04.30 AM.png (430.45 KiB) Viewed 2 times
2. The tools in the analysis toolset (like graph, table, sensitivity graph, etc.) can be embedded in the menu bar. Ideally, they can have shortcuts based on the operating system (e.g., ⌘/Control + Shift + G shows the graph for the selected variable). This would be handy when switching between multiple tools quickly (e.g., looking at the graph, table, and statistics, sequentially for different variables). Even if shortcuts are not defined by default, users can assign their customized shortcuts (at least on macOS), but having them in the menu bar is required.
3. It would be extremely helpful if the same menu (like viewing the graph for the selected variable) would also reverse the action. For example, it opens and closes the graph, unless another variable is selected. Right now, I have defined a custom shortcut (⌘ + E) to run ‘Output -> Close all output windows’ but the shortcut closes everything.
4. I understand that the equation editor is going to be updated but in the current version, from time to time I see line breaks when the equation gets long, but it only happens when I reopen the model. In the same session, the format of the equation will remain the same (for example, there will be no line breaks)
5. The equation editor on macOS does not accept ‘esc’ or ‘command+return’ keys. So the equation editor can only be closed using the cursor
6. I feel that the Data Import Settings window has not been updated yet because the fonts and sizes are weird. But other windows like Export Settings or Optimization Settings are okay.
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.23.27 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.23.27 AM.png (219.43 KiB) Viewed 2 times
7. On macOS, when the OS’s dark mode is enabled and the Vensim’s Dark mode sketch is activated, renaming a variable is not very clear as the text/color overlaps
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.28.01 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.28.01 AM.png (124.11 KiB) Viewed 2 times
aliakhavan89

Post by aliakhavan89 »

8. I’d appreciate if you could make the ‘dark mode sketch’ to be enabled automatically but include an option like Microsoft Office apps to customize that behavior
Turn off Dark Mode.png
Turn off Dark Mode.png (169.76 KiB) Viewed 2 times
9. The table in the dark mode has a white background
Time (Year).png
Time (Year).png (51.81 KiB) Viewed 2 times
10. The graph legends in the dark mode have white backgrounds making the legend invisible
2016.png
2016.png (165.63 KiB) Viewed 2 times
aliakhavan89

Post by aliakhavan89 »

11. ‘Suppress simulation information window’ does not suppress the information window then the model is reading a CIN file or other inputs to constants (like .out files). In the settings, there is even an option to suppress errors, so it would be beneficial to make this optional too.
Reading changes from file Untitled.cin.png
Reading changes from file Untitled.cin.png (135.75 KiB) Viewed 2 times
12. On macOS, in the ‘Comment editor’ the ‘delete’ key does note remove the comment, but ‘option+delete’ does. I think the window is not correctly activated because even going to the edit menu and selecting delete does not do anything (but the model options like adding subscripts are available).
Vensim DSS File.png
Vensim DSS File.png (368.93 KiB) Viewed 2 times
13. ‘Activate on variable selection’ for graphs or tables is a good workaround instead of using menu options and shortcuts, but still has some issues. For example, when I want to open the equation editor for a variable, I really do not intend to see the graph/table at the same time.