ANNOUNCE Professor Shimada (Japan) passed away

This forum contains all archives from the SD Mailing list (go to http://www.systemdynamics.org/forum/ for more information). This is here as a read-only resource, please post any SD related questions to the SD Discussion forum.
System Dynamics Society <sds@

ANNOUNCE Professor Shimada (Japan) passed away

Post by System Dynamics Society <sds@ »

Posted by System Dynamics Society <sds@csc.albany.edu>

>From Qifan Wang
President of China Chapter
President of System Dynamics Society, 2007

I am profoundly sorry to learn that Professor Toshiro Shimada, a professor emeritus at Meiji University and a founder of the Japan Chapter, passed away on 31st March.

The System Dynamics Society, China Chapter and I send our heartfelt condolences.

This is a great loss, not only for his family, but also for all members of the System Dynamics Society, especially those from Asia like me. He dedicated his life to the development of system dynamics and the friendship of people from different countries.

I remember our last two meetings clearly. In Japan in 1995, he hosted the 13th International Conference in Tokyo. Following the conference, we had discussions about jointly organizing another new system dynamics conference in Asia. Then, for the 2005 Shanghai MS-SD Conference, I invited him (at the age of 89) as a senior advisor to attend the conference. He gave a thoughtful and warm greeting at the opening ceremony.

My deepest sympathy is sent.
Posted by System Dynamics Society <sds@csc.albany.edu> posting date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:04:46 -0400 (EDT) _______________________________________________